Skip to main content

Sto. Rosario

Barangay Sto. Rosario derived its name in the 18th century when Father Juan Perez de Sta. Lucia assumed the role of recollect missionary in Capas. It was during his tenure that the site of Capas was relocated to its present location. Father Juan was renowned for his devoutness in praying the Holy Rosary, often demonstrating his piety by wearing chains during his prayers.

In 1864, a devastating cholera epidemic swept through the area, claiming Father Juan as one of its victims. In honor of his memory and dedication to the rosary, the community continued his sacred practice, earning the nickname “lugar ng mga taong mahilig mag-rosaryo” (a place of people devoted to the rosary), which eventually became the official name, Sto. Rosario.

Located just half a kilometer from the poblacion, Sto. Rosario’s residents primarily engage in rice and sugarcane farming, with mangoes, root crops, swine, and poultry also being cultivated. As one of the oldest barangays in Capas, Sto. Rosario is considered the heritage district, boasting ancestral houses, particularly along Del Pilar Street. Sitios Salangui and Pascuala, within the barangay, are notable for having the highest concentration of poultry farms and piggeries in Capas.

Official Website of Municipality of Capas, Province of Tarlac