Formerly known as Calyncuan, derived from the word “licu/liku” meaning reroute or detour, Barangay Estrada acquired its name during World War II in 1945 when residents of the then Barangay Calingcuan sought refuge in a safer location owned by the Estrada family, where they were granted permission to build their homes there. This led to the area being known as Estrada, thus becoming Barangay Estrada. Originally part of the Spanish pueblo of Murcia, Calyncuan was annexed to Capas in 1903 following the dissolution of Murcia.
The narrative continued as the Estrada family sold the land to the Rodriguez family, who intended to demolish the houses. In response, the residents sought assistance from Governor Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr., then governor of Tarlac province. Governor Aquino opted to purchase the 45-hectare land and redistribute it among the people under specific conditions. Each family received 2 and ½ hectares of land, while portions were allocated for the barangay plaza and the construction of an elementary school.
Today, alongside traditional farming and livestock and poultry raising, Barangay Estrada is adapting to modernization with various commercial endeavors by local entrepreneurs. Notably, asparagus cultivation has become a significant contributor to the barangay’s revenue, complemented by private subdivisions, swimming pool resorts, and other business ventures.
Located 7.0 kilometers from the poblacion, like other barangays in Capas, Estrada was established under the Integral Reorganization Plan (IRP). Primarily an agricultural community, it specializes in rice, sugarcane, and mongo production, earning it the reputation of being the industrial capital of Capas.