History of Barangay Aranguren
Believed to be created some time in the first quarter of the nineteenth century, Aranguren, the terminal point of the infamous “Death March,” is located six kilometers from poblacion and was established probably between 1810 to 1820.
Its former name, according to the old folks in the barrio was Pangati. It was so called by this name because its people were fond of making pangati which was a kind of a primitive instrument intended for a catching wild animals.
When the Spaniards came, the colonizers began to preach the catholic faith and sent missionaries all over the Philippine islands. Thus, the Barangay’s official name was originally formed out of the local’s act of honoring a said Spanish missionary priest Rev. Fr. Gregorio Aranguring so Pangati was changed to “Aranguring”.
And in old tales, Aranguring was modified to Aranguren perhaps because it produced a better sound during the American occupation.
Settlers then cleared huge portions of land, marked boundaries and claimed ownership. Their main source of living was farming, fishing, hunting fowls and animals.
During the Japanese Occupation, Aranguren had also gained its important spot in history when the World War II heroes marched from Bataan to Capas and when the U.S Military Reservation (Camp O’Donnell, now an independent barangay called Cristo Rey) used it as a concentration camp after the surrender of the Filipino- American forces to the Japanese Imperial Army.
It became the final destination of 75,000 soldiers who were held prisoners of war, 55,000 dead buried in those grounds. Hence, world- known as death march.
By the year 1970, the American government established communication facilities (the naval transmitting facility) within the U.S Military Reservation at Capas.
Until, former President Ferdinand E. Marcos, distributed these agricultural land to farmers.
Meanwhile, in the time of President Fidel V. Ramos, The Prisoner of War (POW) Camp was developed into a military shrine. Thus, the hundred feet gigantic obelisk became a prominent historical marker and a tourist destination- the Capas National Shrine.
Today, Aranguren is a progressive barangay for its vast rice and sugarcane plantation, poultries, piggeries, fish production and several business establishments.
Notably, it is eyed for local and international investments because of its good location and large territory. On the overview, it is a substantial area in the Philippines’ most ambitious project where smart meets green, New Clark City.