Barangay Sta. Lucia
History of Barangay Sta. Lucia
In 1900, two Zambal families have left Botolan, Zambales amidst great conflicts with Aetas and came first at O’Donnell. Later on these two families, the Conde’s and the Estrada’s, settled in better farmland to raise come cattle.
As the story goes, just upon the arrival of both families in the area, a baby girl with defective eyes was born to the family of the Conde’s. The family name the baby Lucia and later on called the place where they settled as Santa Lucia, the barangay name up to date.
Soon after, more families nearby towns like Mabalacat (Pampanga), Concepcion (Tarlac), Arayat (Pampanga), and Manibaog (Pampanga) migrated to Sta. Lucia that updurged the population in the area.
Today, Barangay Sta. Lucia is known for being the home of the AFP’s Gunnery Range where the recent 26th ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet was held. The facility is open to amateur shooters and Philippines strong contenders on international competitions. In fact, the Philippines have already won several gold and silver medals for three consecutive years now.
Together, craftsmanship on export quality weaved baskets as it share in the trade and commerce of the barangay and the municipality. In addition, bamboo stick production, mainly intended for barbeque skewing and chopsticks, is a continuous livelihood program in the barangay.
Meanwhile, its residents are also engaged to farming and livestock raising – a staple industry in Capas.Sta. Lucia was founded by the Conde and Estrada families in 1900. The barangay was named after the child of the Conde family. The area, also a part of US Military Reservation, is composed of six sitios whose lands are used primarily for rice, sugarcane, gabi, vegetables, sweet potato and watermelon. Livestock and tilapia are also raised in the area.
Trackback from your site.