Barangay Lawy - Capas Tarlac (1)

Barangay Lawy

History of Barangay Lawy

In point of age, barrio LAWY is considered as one of the oldest of the barrios of Capas town. In accordance with existing records, Lawy was founded in 1886, when the original town proper of Capas was still in its old site at “BALEN  ARAN” (OLD TOWN) by the Cutcut river. Capas was then under the administration of Don Juan Yalung, the kapitan municipal.

            During its first settlement, Lawy was a thick forest where many wild boars, deer, pythons, monkeys and birds lived. The first inhabitants of barrio Lawy were Aetas who left barrio, discovered in this new place the presence of innumerable rattan vines that grew luxuriantly in the forest, so the Aetas called the new place “PULONG LAWE”, meaning FOREST OF RATTANS. The present name of this barrio which is Lawy was first spelled Lawe. Lawe is an Aeta word, meaning rattan. The word Lawe, was later changed into Lawy, the present name of this barrio.

            Attracted by the abundance of forest products and the presence of tillable land around the forest. Ilocano families from some places migrated in Lawy. These immigrants made some clearings that led to the tribal homes temporarily. Continuous coming of more civilized immigrants in Lawy as time went on caused the non existence today of the Aetas that first settled on this barrio.

            The early settlers who founded Lawy in its Igorot basis were the families of the Capiendo’s, Gatuc’s, Apostol’s, Biags and Bagay’s, followed in later years by families from Pampanga like Yalung’s, Day’s, Tanglao’s, Sicangco’s, Dominguez’, De Guzman’s, Zamora’s, Espinosa’s,  Dumlao’s,Gonzales’, Lopez’, Mallari’s, Gatmaitan’s , Obrases, Laxamana’s Pamintuan’s and many others. Evacuations from nearby Barrio Manga in 1947 due to the dangers of the times, also contributed to the increased in population of Barrio Lawy, amongst them were the Cauguiran’s, Cayabyab’s , Meneses’ and Capitulo’s.

Lawy is composed of three sitios and is among the oldest settlement in Capas. Established in 1880, it was formerly called “Pulong Lawe” by the Aetas – the first inhabitants. The area is a producer of rice, sweet potato, peanut, ampalaya and mongo. It has two emerging industries, mango growing and tilapia culture.

Trackback from your site.